16:00:12 <quidam> #startmeeting 06/Sep/2019
16:00:12 <Trisnity> Meeting started Fri Sep  6 16:00:12 2019 UTC.  The chair is quidam. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
16:00:12 <Trisnity> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
16:00:19 <quidam> hi everybody
16:00:43 <chaosmonk1> hi quidam, how'd the move go?
16:01:46 <valessio> hi
16:01:53 <quidam> huh, long and tedious
16:02:13 <quidam> but quite well thanks to valessio
16:03:03 <quidam> checking the build logs
16:03:46 <quidam> and the mirror logs
16:03:56 <dctrud> hello all
16:04:08 <quidam> yesterday I fixed the website certificate, I wonder if it needs to be applied to any other service
16:04:12 <valessio> quidam: I need help defining the next steps for Trisquel website migration. Reviewing and creating the to-do list so you can focus.
16:04:30 <dctrud> quidam: I don't think that the etiona package-helper related packages are building. a new icedove didn't appear, nor some things for which package-helpers were removed
16:05:08 <dctrud> I couldn't see any dsc builds for etiona thunderbird/icedove on jenkins
16:05:09 <quidam> dctrud: ok, let's fix that. I'll first see if the mirrors are importing properly, and then the general build setup
16:05:56 <quidam> valessio: for sure. let's have a specific meeting on that today
16:06:32 <valessio> :)
16:10:40 <chaosmonk1> quidam: i spent yesterday working on package helpers and submitted some MRs to be reviewed/merged <https://devel.trisquel.info/trisquel/package-helpers/merge_requests>
16:12:22 <quidam> chaosmonk1: awesome, let's take a look!
16:13:08 <quidam> (the repo setup seems fine)
16:15:21 <quidam> chaosmonk1: on the one for removing obsolete helpers, is gnome-control-center no longer ubuntu branded?
16:15:36 <quidam> the files with the branding may have changed paths
16:18:18 <chaosmonk1> quidam: i think i looked and didn't see anything (and i've noticed a general trend of less ubuntu branding of gnome packages, but i'll double check
16:18:23 <dctrud> chaosmonk: I built all your MRs last night, they built to dsc and deb for me okay also
16:21:24 <quidam> ugh, the devel server connection is super slow right now
16:22:07 <quidam> chaosmonk1: yeah, I don't see ubuntu changes either. cool!
16:23:01 <quidam> merged. next!
16:24:11 <quidam> chaosmonk1: for the ones you add changes to, you need to add your copyright line
16:24:41 <chaosmonk1> quidam: okay, will do that now
16:25:11 <quidam> thanks, I'll keep reviewing
16:34:52 <quidam> chaosmonk1: on the midori one, the duckduckgo reference needs the t=trisquel parameter
16:36:21 <chaosmonk1> quidam: that's what s|t=midor|t=trisquel| does
16:36:31 <quidam> chaosmonk1: ahh, k
16:37:17 <chaosmonk1> quidam: copyright statements are updated
16:37:43 <quidam> chaosmonk1: thanks!
16:38:13 <quidam> merged midori
16:40:42 <quidam> chaosmonk1: on the gnome-online-accounts one, could you change the changelog string to something more descriptive?
16:41:03 <quidam> like "remove snap build dependency"
16:42:43 <chaosmonk1> quidam: done
16:45:30 <dctrud> quidam: after the package-helpers MRs, I have a gtk-icon-theme one in trisquel-packages at: https://devel.trisquel.info/trisquel/trisquel-packages/merge_requests/12
16:46:07 <quidam> chaosmonk1: your change to redshift cannot be the cause of the video issue, so I'm merging it
16:47:44 <quidam> chaosmonk1: what is pending on the cve one?
16:49:45 <quidam> dctrud: merged thunderbird
16:50:15 <chaosmonk1> quidam: two binaries i expected to build (perl-doc, perl-modules-5.22) didn't, and without perl-modules-5.22 i couldn't install and test. it could be no big deal, but since so many packages depend on perl i didn't feel confident enough to recommend merging. what do you think?
16:51:55 <quidam> chaosmonk1: ah, no, perl-modules-5.22 is a requirement to a whole lot of packages
16:53:48 <quidam> dctrud: merged the gtk one
16:56:42 <quidam> woah, nice work guys!
16:57:06 <quidam> I'll build the gtk one now, those are build by hand (one more thing to fix)
16:57:17 <davidpgil[m]> i wanna help too :(
16:59:24 <chaosmonk1> quidam: i didn't see any errors in the build log for perl, so i'm not sure where to look next. i'll try rebuilding, with and without the package helper (perl takes a *long* time to build on my X61)
16:59:57 <quidam> chaosmonk1: taking a look
17:03:34 * valessio I'm leaving for lunch, I'll be back few minutes. I updated some modules in drupal of the new website.
17:06:25 <quidam> I'm missing some changes about gpg keys
17:12:03 <dctrud> Is the new website under dev somewhere to have a peek / comment, or is it private?
17:15:39 <dctrud> Time for a bit of lunch and a run. Have a good weekend all :-)
17:17:13 <chaosmonk1> quidam: are you in the middle of anything? i have several questions that i ran into yesterday while working on helpers
17:18:56 <quidam> chaosmonk1: go ahead
17:19:23 <chaosmonk1> (1) for some reason i get this error <https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/517264/rpl-error-typeerror-encode-argument-1-must-be-str-not-none> for only *some* helpers with use rpl
17:19:34 <chaosmonk1> this happens on my X61, but i don't think it did on another trisquel 9 system which i briefly used to work on etiona helpers
17:19:39 <quidam> dctrud: the site is on a dev server but behind a firewall. valessio wants to open it to comments
17:19:42 <chaosmonk1> the three helpers that didn't work for me were make-choose-mirror, make-main-menu, and make-netcfg
17:19:52 <chaosmonk1> if the problem is specific to my system, then some of those helpers might actually be okay, so it would be helpful if someone else could test them
17:20:41 <chaosmonk1> i would also generally like to know what's going on with rpl. a while back you suggested i use rpl instead of sed for make-ubuntustudio-controls, which is where i first ran into this
17:21:16 <chaosmonk1> (2) can you trigger builds of gnome-settings-daemon-schemas and doxygen? a lot of other packages with helpers depend on one of those
17:21:39 <quidam> do you use rpl from DATA/rpl or from system?
17:23:17 <chaosmonk1> it looks like the helpers that fail use rpl from system. should i use $DATA/rpl instead?
17:25:09 <quidam> yes
17:25:46 <quidam> that is there to remove the external dependency, and to be more predictable
17:25:53 <chaosmonk1> okay, i've changed make-main-menu to use $DATA/rpl and am running it now
17:25:55 <chaosmonk1> makes sense
17:26:04 <quidam> but it can be fixed in the config script, globally
17:26:10 <quidam> better than changing it in all helpers
17:29:32 <chaosmonk1> quidam: how would that be done?
17:32:52 <quidam> chaosmonk1: by adding an alias or a function to override rpl with the local version
17:33:07 <quidam> alias rpl=$DATA/rpl
17:33:13 <quidam> I think that should work
17:33:17 <chaosmonk1> quidam: wait, what's the correct path for rpl? $DATA is $PWD/DATA/[package], which doesn't have rpl in it, and i don't find anything in the package helpers repo with "find -name rpl"
17:34:12 <chaosmonk1> running the modified make-main-menu gave me ".../DATA/main-menu/rpl: No such file or directory"
17:38:11 <quidam> oh, sorry, that is wrong
17:38:38 <quidam> alias rpl=$PWD/DATA/rpl
17:38:40 <quidam> try that
17:40:10 <chaosmonk1> okay i added that to to config and am running the original make-main-menu
17:41:05 <chaosmonk1> but i don't see rpl in the DATA directory
17:41:42 <quidam> mmm, should be there
17:43:55 <quidam> I have to step out
17:43:59 <chaosmonk1> i don't see it locally and i don't see it here https://devel.trisquel.info/trisquel/package-helpers/tree/etiona/helpers/DATA
17:44:17 <chaosmonk1> k
17:54:21 <chaosmonk1> quidam: if you have more time when you get back can you ping me? if not i can save the rest of my questions for next week, but i'd like to address them today if possible so i can finish some more helpers between now and then
18:37:32 <quidam> chaosmonk1: back
18:39:16 <quidam> you are right, I have rpl in DATA in my copy, but it was from some test
18:43:14 <chaosmonk1> quidam: can you push it to etiona?
18:44:49 <dctrud> chaosmonk: are there particular package helpers you are going to try? I might have time for 1 or 2 this weekend and don't want to clash with your efforts.
18:47:53 <chaosmonk1> dctrud: i'm working my way through this page <https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/status-package-helpers-etiona> and clearing this off as i go. maybe you and i can update the page "claiming" a helper once we start working on it so we know who's working on what?
18:47:59 <chaosmonk1> *clearing things
18:48:36 <dctrud> yup - I'll try to update that for the things I've already done this evening then
18:49:19 <chaosmonk1> dctrud: i already noticed that you or someone had fixed some and removed those, but see if i missed any
18:49:50 <dctrud> oh - err... actually, I don't have an account on the web site.... I deleted it as an experiment to see what happens to old data... when I was looking at the GDPR concerns raised
18:50:29 <chaosmonk1> quidam: in case (2) got buried, several package helpers depend on gnome-settings-daemon-schemas and doxygen, so those might be good packages to trigger builds for now. cups-filters too
18:51:11 <chaosmonk1> dctrud: are you willing to make a new account? if not, i can copy the info to a gitlab issue and we can work on it there
18:51:53 <chaosmonk1> quidam: (3) i tried working on make-ubiquity, but the package helper did not make a dsc. i think this may be because it has "PARALLEL=false compile" instead of compile. what does this mean?
18:51:53 <dctrud> yeah - sure... I'm just going to compose a grovelling email to whomever it is doing the activations, trying not to look like an idiot for having done that :-)
18:55:35 <dctrud> choasmonk: registered again, and sent an apologetic message to get it activated
18:56:05 <quidam> chaosmonk1: added the rpl change
18:56:16 <chaosmonk1> awesome, thanks
18:57:32 <quidam> chaosmonk1: I don't think the PARALLEL parameter is used anymore
18:57:42 <quidam> it used to set the -j parameter in makefiles
18:57:54 <quidam> but now that things are built with sbuild it does not apply
18:58:01 <dctrud> quidam: the etiona package-helper stuff like thunderbird etc. should build in next couple of days? I can put the changes for flidas too once I see it works all the way through
18:58:24 <dctrud> (thunderbird changes... since flidas upstream is same as etiona upstream version)
18:58:24 <quidam> I'll check the build watchdog now
19:10:13 <chaosmonk1> quidam: even with the alias you added to config, make-main-menu tries to use /usr/bin/rpl
19:15:40 <quidam> that is odd
19:21:57 <dctrud> I don't think aliases are expanded in non-interactive shells
19:22:43 <dctrud> unless `shopt -s expand_aliases`
19:22:45 <dctrud> https://www.thegeekdiary.com/how-to-make-alias-command-work-in-bash-script-or-bashrc-file/
19:23:06 <dctrud> used to get people hitting this in their scripts on a HPC cluster I supported
19:23:14 <quidam> dctrud: it worked in my test, but it can be done with a function too
19:24:56 <dctrud> quidam: depends how you run it...
19:25:04 <quidam> ok, replacing with a function
19:25:10 <dctrud> 02:24 PM $ bash test2
19:25:14 <dctrud> Fri Sep  6 14:24:38 CDT 2019
19:25:21 <dctrud> 02:24 PM $ bash -i test2
19:25:29 <dctrud> I am aliased date
19:32:34 <quidam> dctrud: try the last commit
19:33:07 <quidam> ok, I'm losing track here
19:33:19 <quidam> dctrud: please list the unresolved requests you have
19:34:06 <quidam> I know I have to build the gtk theme, fix the watchdog not launching some etiona builds, and fix gpg key issues in the config file
19:34:21 <quidam> but I'm probably missing some
19:38:52 <quidam> I meant to ping chaosmonk1 too for unresolved requests (and anybody, really)
19:39:18 <chaosmonk1> (4) what is nasm-mozilla and do we need it? we used to import it from a ppa that does not support bionic <https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozilla-security/+archive/ubuntu/ppa?field.series_filter=bionic>
19:39:40 <chaosmonk1> should we force the version package for xenial, find a new upstream, or remove the helper?
19:40:15 <chaosmonk1> (5) in flidas we backport ghc to main (as opposed to backports). i'm not sure what the original reason was for doing this in 2015. maybe we needed a specific version for belenos
19:40:29 <chaosmonk1> do we need to keep maintaining this helper <https://devel.trisquel.info/trisquel/package-helpers/blob/flidas/helpers/make-ghc-8.4.3> (it's currently broken) or can we use upstream's version moving forward?
19:41:03 <quidam> chaosmonk1: nasm is a requirement for abrowser, it comes from the mozilla-security ppa directly to the repos, so it should be updated
19:41:37 <quidam> 5 backporting to backports is a recent feature
19:41:40 <dctrud> quidam: I think that's it... sorry for asking for a bunch of stuff
19:42:19 <chaosmonk1> quidam: so should i just change bionic to xenial in the EXTERNAL= line?
19:42:25 <quidam> iirc the ghc helper is there because ubuntu had an outdated version at the time. if that is not the case anymore the helper can be dropped
19:43:08 <quidam> chaosmonk1: bionic to xenial in what helper?
19:43:36 <chaosmonk1> make-nasm-mozilla
19:44:14 <chaosmonk1> there's no bionic package, so the current output is E: Unable to find a source package for nasm-mozilla
19:45:03 <quidam> I'll check the repo config. that helper should not be needed
19:45:36 <quidam> this is because ubuntu does something quite nasty, they build firefox using build dependencies that are not in their repositories, they are only in a ppal
19:45:39 <quidam> this ppa https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozilla-security/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
19:45:59 <quidam> to fix that, our sources repo already imports that, so the helper is redundant
19:46:11 <quidam> but there may be a mistake in etiona, so I'll check
19:46:40 <chaosmonk1> okay. i do see nasm-mozilla for xenial https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozilla-security/+archive/ubuntu/ppa?field.series_filter=xenial
19:46:58 <chaosmonk1> but not for bionic https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozilla-security/+archive/ubuntu/ppa?field.series_filter=bionic
19:47:24 <quidam> yes, the repo import is missing from the config, fixing
19:55:44 <quidam> chaosmonk1: it is importing it now
19:56:10 <chaosmonk1> so the package helper is redundant to config and can go?
20:05:57 <quidam> hmmmmm
20:06:13 <quidam> I'm confused now, idk where the source is in bionic
20:06:40 <quidam> oh
20:06:43 <chaosmonk1> you mean in the ppa?
20:06:47 <quidam> it seems to use nasm now
20:06:55 <quidam> I mean that all of this seems to be unnecesary now
20:07:20 <quidam> nasm-mozilla is not a firefox dependency in bionic
20:07:22 <quidam> it is just nasm
20:07:41 <quidam> so in any case the helper is not necessary in etiona
20:07:50 <chaosmonk1> which i see in the repo
20:07:52 <chaosmonk1> okay, cool
20:09:32 <quidam> sorry for the confusion
20:09:52 <chaosmonk1> np. should i create a MR removing make-nasm-mozilla, or will you do it?
20:12:21 <chaosmonk1> quidam: and were you able to get rpl working as a function?
20:12:39 <chaosmonk1> after that i have nothing else for today. sorry for dragging out the meeting for so long
20:31:57 <quidam> chaosmonk1: it should now be working as a function, please try it
20:34:03 <quidam> ok, I cannot continue for today, it was pretty productive
20:34:31 <chaosmonk1> trying now
20:34:38 <chaosmonk1> thanks quidam, see you next week
20:34:40 <quidam> I removed the helper
20:34:48 <quidam> #endmeeting